Thursday, January 5, 2012

Dwarf Hotot difficulties

Anyone who has raised Dwarf Hotots knows what a struggle they are. You often have to go out of state to find some good stock which is something I am dealing with right now. I know of two breeders in Utah. One of them breeds for pets and another who just doesn't really know what they are doing. By that I mean they don't know Dwarf Hotot conformation and they rely on the judge to choose who stays and who goes in their herd. I am likely having hotots transported back from convention to get quality rabbits.
They also have specific markings like some other breeds which is always a struggle. They are usually not the best mothers either. They can have trouble excepting their babies. A lot of lines have max factors and  of course, peanuts (common among dwarf breeds).
They are known as "the jaws of the rabbit world" because people assume they like to bite. I have noticed with my friends line that the babies are nippy when they are young and grow out of it with age. They are like toddlers. They use their mouth to explore things.
There are many other difficulties as there are with all breeds but I can't go on forever about this.

They also have many fun things about them:
-adorable personalities
-some appear as "all head, no body" which is cute
-Small little bunnies
-snuggly
-etc.

This is Cookies current website picture. It has been to dark outside to get a good posed picture of him. We have re-done our website, tell us what you think.
http://www.rascalsrabbitry.weebly.com/

3 comments:

  1. Convention...I can't wait for convention!;-) If there were a like button for this post I'd press it. lol I know what you mean, they ARE a challenging breed for sure. Which is probably why they aren't real common at most shows. It truly takes someone that really loves this breed and is dedicated to them to stick with it.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for convention and I'm not even going! haha! I forgot to put the last sentence of your comment in the post. haha They are a challenge, but I think they will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that breeding hotot difficulties. Thanks
    Kelinci Hotot

    ReplyDelete