Friday, March 28, 2014

The Bare Necessities

I often find myself wondering when I'll finally have a stocked rabbitry and no longer have to purchase just the bare necessities. When I say bare necessities, I mean stackers, feed, new stock to maintain steady improvement, feeders, health maintenance equipment, and loads of other equipment. Thinking this morning, I decided that I'll likely be purchasing the bare necessities for 1-3 more years. O_o At this point, maybe I won't be quite so tied up on purchasing more and more much needed equipment and I can finally purchase fun things such as a registrar's guide (written by Allen Mesick), an official SOP (I actually have an up to date standard, but it's just a photo copy, lol), more carriers, a show cart, fancy-shmancy aprons, a baby monitor to monitor my kindling does or my rabbitry, automatic watering system... sigh... the list just goes on! Such luxurious items. I would love to have them but I'm stuck with the bare necessities currently. Lol!

A cute sport jr doe on top of the oldest, most beat-up hutch
 I own. I need to replace that thing... yet another bare
necessity!! ;-)
If you're wondering about the hutch, yes, I do have two massive hutches outside. I use them for over-flow, sales stock, or a cull pen. One of them was built by my dad about 9 years ago and is still in excellent condition! I love it. There are 4 holes and they're 30''x30''. The old, beat-up hutch was built about 4 or 5 years ago by an old neighbor. I only got this hutch about 6 months ago and it was in horrid condition but it still serves it's purpose! It also has 4 holes but it's only 24''x24'' per hole. It has nest boxes built onto the back of it however I'm not a fan of that part. The nests are really just used as litter boxes for the rabbits so I usually lock the rabbits out of the nest boxes. I plan to take this hutch to the dump once my barn is finished and maybe have my dad build a new, 8 hole hutch to replace it. That would offer up space for the Champagne D' Argent project. Or perhaps we'll find a different breed we'd like to raise in the 12 holes outside. We'll make that decision closer to convention time!! ;-) Either way, I'd like the start with five animals of the new breed... two bucks, three does. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment