Saturday, March 15, 2014

Smut

I haven't posted in a while because I couldn't get my blogger account to upload pictures to my posts! I was so frustrated and then I found out that if I use Google Chrome, it works! :-D Whoo! A lot has happened here lately but I'll save all of the news for separate posts. I really want to post often now that my blogger account is working right again. Anyways, back to what I was talking about...

Something I have found interesting when raising certain colors is you must produce a "clean" version of the color. Through my endeavors of producing sable points, I have learned the difference between a clean sable and a smutty sable. Fortunately, color is only worth 4 points on the Holland standard. Color is hardly a consideration to me when choosing new stock or juniors to hold onto however, I still think it's interesting to compare the colors. As much as I'd love to own a gorgeous, completely clean sable, it's just not a priority while I'm working hard for things that are worth so much more. I'll share some examples of animals in my barn currently...

The smutty one... he's very dark.

Dark smut on a junior.
Nice, dark points though! 
This one isn't as smutty as the first one but it's still there.

Not perfect but this guy is pretty clean!

Still a bit smut there that may or may not darken with age. 

Look at that head, ear, and crown!! Love this junior! 
This Spring, I plan to bring in a new REW for my program. REWs are known to help clean up the color on Sable Points. I would have added REWs earlier however, a nice one is very difficult to come across. When I saw this doe however, I had to have her. What fabulous type!! :-D She remains one of the nicest typed REWs that I have ever seen! Everyone... please welcome Tasia's Snowflake! She'll be arriving shortly after the West Coast Classic in the first few days of May. She is packed with width, bone, a massive head, and a gorgeous crown. I absolutely LOVE my bigger brood does with massive bone and width. They make the best producers here.

Tasia's Snowflake

No comments:

Post a Comment