Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Recommendations for Beginners

I'd like to share with you some of the things I wish I had known before getting started and had to learn my lesson the hard way. I hope this can help out some of the newer breeders that read my blog. There are loads of things I could cover in this post, but I'll cover the ones I think are the most important.

1. BEWARE OF JUNIORS!
This is one I wish I knew before getting started. I used to think that if a rabbit was expensive, it was an awesome rabbit. I trusted the breeders that if they were offering a rabbit for a lot of money, they would be selling me quality. This was not the case. I am guilty of buying an expensive pet quality rabbit that looked nice as a junior. I paid $175 for this nice buck. I had him transported across 8 states. I got him home and noticed a few things on the rabbit that weren't in the pictures I had seen nor were they ever mentioned by the breeder. The rabbit also soon became more and more aggressive and began biting for no reason. He definitely wasn't nipping either, he literally took chunks out of my hands/fingers. I kept him in hopes that he would grow out of it but his aggression progressed and only got worse. By the time he turned 8 months old, it was apparent that he was also pet quality at 4.02 lbs with a slipped crown, pinched hips, pinched shoulders, a shoulder dip, and a less than pleasing top line. I contacted the breeder who then refused to take him back or refund the money. Needless to say this buck was put down because no pet home deserves his aggression. Beware that if you don't have a lot of experience, a nice junior can morph into a pet quality animal in a few months. Don't spend a lot of money on juniors especially since there is no way to guarantee how they will turn out.

2. YOU DON'T HAVE TO SETTLE FOR LOCAL!
I didn't know this for the first 4 years of raising rabbits but you do not have to settle for local rabbits. If you love a breed but don't have the quality you want in your state, there are awesome people that you can pay to transport your rabbits for you. These people generally charge $15-$50 per rabbit which is so much better than shipping by plane. Much safer for the bunnies and yourself!

3. LIVE BY THE 5 RULE!
I have often been told of the 5 rule. Many well-known breeders refer to the 5 rule. Remember that it takes 5 years to produce consistently winning stock. It takes 5 years of raising quality before you are on the big breeders' heels. It takes a minimum of 5 rabbits to get a good start to any breed. Etc. It's the 5 rule!

4. BROOD DOES ARE VALUABLE!
This one may seem obvious to some and not so obvious to others. Lets say I have $150 to spend on new does. If I were offered a nice show doe for $150 or 2 brood does for $75, I'd take the brood does. Not because they are cheaper and I get two does instead of one, but because I know in the long run, the brood does will produce many gorgeous show babies if bred to a good buck. While the show doe will be sitting on the show table or possibly raising a decent litter or two per year, the brood does will be raising awesome litters of show babies throughout the whole year making themselves more valuable.

I will be doing these every once in a while as I think of them. If you have any questions you'd like me to address in a blog post, email me! :) Also I apologize for the lack of pictures. Blogger is being a pain. Lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment