Wednesday, January 9, 2013

New Feed and Growing Babies

Yay! I finally found a new feed that I like! I am currently in the process of making the switch to Sherwood Forest. It is milled about 3 hours from me in Logan, Utah. I did a lot of research on rabbit nutrition and I have to agree, this is the best feed I've seen. I compared labels with the feed I have used for 7 years and Sherwood is so much better! The only real problem with Sherwood is you have to provide a salt lick for the bunnies because it does not have the required amount of salt for your rabbits. This is my rabbit's current diet:
-Sherwood/IFA mixture pellet feed adjusted to the right amount per rabbit 
(transition in progress to feeding 100% Sherwood and no IFA)
-Unlimited access to a Salt lick
-Unlimited access to Oat/Grass hay
Sherwood runs at $20 for a 50 lb. bag, the salt licks are generally 70 cents each, and the hay is free. But in the Spring I will be buying a few 120 lb. bales (the biggest bale that I can comfortably carry myself) of pure grass hay for the bunnies. Those bales usually cost about $6.50 each. I like to get the 2nd cut of the year because it rarely has any weeds in it.
IFA(left), Sherwood (right) What a Difference!!!
Sherwood(left) IFA(right)
Sherwood has no fines! IFA is loaded in fines. :/ 
 
As you can see, Sherwood is so Green! IFA is a yellow-ish green. In feeds that have some hay content, you can generally see the quality by the color of the feed. The richer the green color, the higher quality of the feed.
 
But enough about feed, here's some updated pictures of the youngsters in the barn right now. They are all turning out so nice! I'm really tempted to make a post of the progress I've made in my litters. I was going through pictures today and saw some of my first juniors... I've made a lot of progress! Lol!
 
 
-Little Rascal's Mia-
Look how wide she is! Reminds me of her dad so much!
(She was fighting the pose...Lol!)
 
-Little Rascal's Felix-
He's very wide. Maybe a tad pinched in the HQ.

-Little Rascal's Felix-
He was not posing for me. Lol This is the best picture I got.

 


-Little Rascal's Alec-
Will be for sale soon. He's a nice little show buck!



1 comment: