Friday, January 24, 2014

Full House

Ooooh my heavens, I have a full house. Lol! Currently with an outstanding 32 holes, my rabbitry is practically over-flowing. I have so many nice juniors waiting for cage space and additionally, so many sale animals waiting for their new owner! Unfortunately, lately everyone has wanted Hollands and as you all know, I will not sell my hollands until they're 4-6 months old. All but two of my sale animals are Hotots! So my poor bunnies are in the somewhat crowded rabbitry and I'm hoping I can manage until March 8th when I can finally pick up my new stackers! I've been making tough cuts and adding animals to the sales list in order to make space for my nice juniors. I'm just eagerly waiting for these buns to sell and for my new stacks to arrive so I can move grow-out bunnies into their own cages.
I will admit however, what I love about having cage space limits is that it forces me to look and pinpoint my weakest typed animals that I otherwise wouldn't sell for various reasons. I've chosen two seniors, an Hotot doe and a Holland buck, that I'll likely be letting go of shortly. While selling these animals can be difficult, I love that it always opens up new opportunities. Strict culling is what builds type quickly and without cage limits, I wouldn't have a set standard for the animals allowed to stay in my barn. My best animal right now will soon become the average typed animal in my barn and once this happens, I'll breed these animals together and create something even better. From here, the cycle repeats itself. If I don't cull often, I'll have a mess of quality and no consistency. However, it's also easy to become cull happy and want to move on everything. I have to consider and reconsider every sale I make.
Anyways, here's a few pictures of Hotot babies that I took today! To all my friends who have amazing cameras, quit judging the quality of the pictures and look at the bunnies. Lol!







No comments:

Post a Comment