Sunday, March 18, 2012

Some Farm News

Alright, I know it has been forever since I posted. It's not my fault! LOL Blogger hasn't been letting me log in for the past month. I really haven't had anything interesting happen lately though. So I guess I'm going to give some random farm updates.

Well, Lucy, our cow we just bought about 6 months ago, is due any day now. I just got inside from filling her stall with straw. I am sooooo very excited for this baby! LOL I probably won't be able to play with it though because Lucy is a protective mama. I am praying for a little heifer (girl) so we can keep her. We have to butcher steers (casturated boys.) Our last calf was Boomer who was born on June 6, 2011. Almost a year ago!! We spread out our cows when we breed. Kind of a bad habit.

We are looking to buy a new heifer with papers to get a good start on our papered Black Angus herd.

We also found out Oreo (a hybrid heifer) is due in 5 months for a calf. This baby was sired by a purebred black angus, but Oreo is a "mutt" (texas longhorn, angus, etc. is in her lineage.)

So all the exciting things lately have only included the cows. haha I am also trying to decide if I am going to sell Cookies. It would be nice to have room incase a nice doe or two come along. I don't (and never will) have a pedigree for Cookies so he is just a "cage filler", But a sweet one at that. I'd hate to let him go. He is my most well-behaved rabbit. But in the long run, he isn't going to improve my herd.

... Decisions decisions...
OH!!! And we also got a new Banner thanks to Ellyn at Rabbit Smarties. <3



2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just stumbled across your blog and I'm really enjoying it!! Our family shows rabbits here Kansas! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you! I need to post more often. haha!

    ReplyDelete