Thursday, June 12, 2014

Showing Off Our Holland Lop Bucks

Today it occurred to me, my Hollands have truly proven themselves these past few months. As a breeder, you slowly lose sight of what accomplishments and improvements you have made with your herd. But then you take a moment and step back, really evaluating the animals and comparing them to what you had 6-12 months ago. Back then, I had one buck that I truly loved named Tyrade who was fabulously typed. In addition to him, I had young little Duke who was a "sticky" buck meaning that he was hormonal and always messy. I didn't know what to think of him but his genetics were solid so I figured I would keep him and see how he produced. And lastly, I had little Chowder... who was a pet buck with a big head, basically. Lol! Chowder wasn't even big enough to show but he was sure a cutie and could offer a nice head/crown to any doe that was lacking such. 
As of now, I have Zivago, Thompson, Swagger, Tyler, Classy, and Beau as my current working bucks. :-D I love them all and don't know where I would be without them! 
Zivago is my main man... he's a stunning example of the breed and a "go-getter" when it comes time to breed a doe. He is a larger solid black tort than most of my Hollands. He has 5 G.C. Legs that he earned in open classes against thirty or so Hollands! They were also tough classes against some of the top Hollands in the nation... that makes me very proud to call Zivago, my own. ;-) 
Thompson is my old man. This sweet boy resembles my beloved Gilroy who passed away last year as my sweet old man. Thompson is a broken sable point with a beautiful head/ear/crown, and a fabulous body to match! His markings are stunning and he has produced beautiful animals that are currently working in my shaded program. Thompson is a little shy but he is a true lover-boy at heart. In 2011, Thompson took 1st BJB at HLRSC Nationals. He remains a beautiful example of the Holland Lop rabbit. 
Swagger is a son of Duke who also passed away last year. Swagger resembles Duke in many ways, however he has better type than his father. He has fabulously thick bone, relatively clean coloring, a short body, a nice coat and finish, dark points, a bigger, rounded head, and decent crown definition. Unfortunately, he inherited Duke's "love" of posing. He literally grabs my hand and removes it from his head. Lol! He's a hoot! 
Tyler, Classy, and Beau are my upcoming bucks that are just beginning to start production in my herd. Sons of the beautiful Tyrade and lovely Manda, they have the top-notch genetics to match their stunning looks. I plan to grow all three of these brothers out to 11 months old before deciding who will stay and who will be sold. I will more than likely be selling the one or two bucks that I decide not to keep at Convention this year. So far, it looks as though Tyler will be the #1 keeper. Classy and Beau need more time to mature but they each have their share of nice attributes. Classy with his solid body and stunning head/crown. Beau with his short, compact body and beautiful topline. His head/crown are still developing but they're quite promising. I absolutely adore these boys! 

And now, for their pictures. The three older boys didn't get new pictures because I am a bit nervous about blowing their coats for the show next weekend. Hopefully I can get new posed pictures this Fall or Winter when they're in prime coat. 

G.C. TF Zivago
5 G.C. Legs

Xcaliber's Thompson

Little Rascal's Mr. Swagger

Little Rascal's Tyler
Ooo-la-la!

Little Rascal's Classy

Little Rascal's Beau

This is a very informal picture that I just snapped for fun.
Can you not adore that gorgeous face with his
head/ear/crown?! Classy is adorable and stunning, himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment